Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Let me present my self. Má ég kynna mig.

I'm a danish architect from Copenhagen, staying in Reykjavik during the month of July.

During my stay here, I of course cannot but notice the amount of large planing projects at present in the city. With a general interest in the development of the urban environment, the seemingly rare or non-existent discussion in the public, about the future of this city, it has struck me.

The question of why this is, springs to mind. I would like to encourage and may be start a dicussion about the future of Reykjavik, which will involve so many people. In this context, I think it is important to exchange opinions and possible different views on planning and architecture, between as many people as possible. Being proffesionals or non-professionals. We all live here and have views and opinions on our everyday life, and therefore it is important to create an open debate and an awareness of the posibilities for the evolving city.

It is important to state, that the debate must simply start by asking questions. Questions about the spaces and activities we would like to see happening in the city. It is as much about defining the identity of the future city of Reykjavik, and the life which is lived within it, as it is about the specific proposed plans. It is about seeing the posibilities which lies inbetween the existing and the new.

I'm working on 3 posters, which can incourage a broader discussion, for a start. Whatch out in your nabourhood and in the inner city. And please do come back with comments!
Tanja Jordan

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?